Improving My Music By Improving My Memory
I wanted to share how I believe I improved my music, simply by improving my memory.
Improving upon your memory is easier than it sounds. Many of seem to think our brain is to complicated to get it calmed down and under control. This is simply not true. Below I have some simple suggestion to help you get your brain under control. Now you don’t have to do all of them, unless you really want to. Just doing one or two of these will do wonders for improving your memory.
Just sit back, relax and read. Keep in the back of your mind that it’s mind over matter. If you feel and think that you can improve your memory over time, then you will.
IMPROVING UPON YOUR MEMORY BANK: JUST BECAUSE WE GET OLDER, DOESN’T MEAN OUR MINDS HAVE TO TOO
1) Most of us get caught up in the idea of multi-tasking. I’m sorry to say this is not helping your case. Quit doing this. Just focus on one thing at a time. I know, most of us go around saying “I have such a day ahead of me”. Put this mindset out of your head. Focus on just one thing. You’ll be quite amazed at what your brain is ready to recall later, if you get in the habit of doing this.
2) Some people like to “cram it all in”. This is not helping your case. I know it sounds simple, but try repetition. Many psychologists call it “over-learning”. It might sound simple, but try it. If you repeat something over and over, your memory will pick it up more easily. Try doing this over a long period of time. You might just be amazed at the difference it makes.
3) There is something called “chunking it“. It’s something most of us have been taught since birth. What you do is take large bits of information and break it down. Break it all down into smaller increments and store the information. Many people do this. Most people have found they can remember a lot more by trying this little exercise.
Why do you think many of us are good at memorizing phone numbers? We “chunk it”. We divide up those ten numbers into 3 little compartments. Hey, it works!
4) Try organizing the information, Some of us, like myself, like the idea of organization.
“A place for everything, and everything in its place”.
Most of you have probably heard this one before. It’s so true though. This is also a good way for those of you who are not good at the whole “organizational” thing, to get better acquainted with it. Start small and build from there.
5) There are many of you who get caught up in someone else’s views of something. You get caught up in the way they do it. Stop that. Try doing what works best for you and your memory. Not all memories are the same. Yours is different from mine. So why would I try to push my way of remembering something onto you? Do what works best for you. There is never a “one size fits all” way of keeping something in the memory bank. If something works well for you, than do it.
6) As you take something, try working on the associations then. Some like to call it “connecting the dots”. I have known people who have said they will come back and do it later. When they come back, they can’t make the association anymore. Why? it’s not fresh in their mind. If you can make the association as you take in the information, your memory will start increasing by a big percent.
When we are younger, it gets easier to take in and hold all the information. As we begin to age, this process start breaking down. However, you can’t let it beat you. Just by doing one or two of these simple tricks, you too can add to your memory bank. If you keep doing some of these tricks every day, your memory will begin to get better.
New video about improving memory:
How to become a memory master | Idriz Zogaj | TEDxGoteborg